Tuesday 12 April 2011

About Cambodia

I've been researching Cambodia, to get a feel for this country and the people I will soon meet.
I am blown away by the rich history this country has. It's really hard to summarize! I think it's safe to say there have been a lot of take-overs and wars in this country.
It's located in Southeast Asia, bordering Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam.
It's tropical there. We'll be going during their rainy, monsoon season (May to November).
90% of the people that make up this country are Khmer, 5% are Vietnamese, 1% are Chinese, and 4% are "other."
96.4% of the people are Buddhist, 2.1% are Muslim, and 1.3% are "other."
Cambodia is a multiparty democracy under a constitutional monarchy.
31% of the population is below the poverty line.
There are a total of 17 airports, with only 6 that have paved runways.
That's a bunch of random facts I've gathered about this country. I know these facts can't describe the lives these people live, but it makes me really excited to meet these people! :)
We'll be guests of the Logos International School, who teach kids from Kindergarten to Grade 8.  We will be running a VBS camp the first week we're there. For the rest of the weeks, we'll be teaching ESL, and running a bunch of activities. Can't wait!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment